Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Bible Retold: The Lost Sheep

Allegedly a retelling of a parable.  By Ben Pennington


.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I don't remember this particular parable from my Bible studies long ago.  I imagine that the original version must have held some deeper meaning, a precious kernel of wisdom it meant to convey.  But there is no hidden meaning to this game.  You are simply a shepherd chasing after a run-away sheep over some mostly featureless terrain.

The game really only has two puzzles, followed by a long slog up a mostly featureless mountain.  I had to consult the hints to do the first puzzle.  I'm expected to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together.  The sticks floating down the river haven't been implemented, so I turn to the hints again to find the stick.  Up a tree. 

I've played enough IF that I should have actually thought of climbing the tree, but I guess I've just gotten lazy after running across a few other trees in this competition that were simply unclimbable.  This puzzle solution strikes me as illogical anyway.  Much as I feel impressed by the YouTube videos of guys starting fires this way in, like, ten seconds, I can say from personal experience that it just isn't that easy.  And I feel environmentally irresponsible for setting fires on such dry terrain, just to flush out one silly sheep.

This game was lightweight both in concept and delivery.  Definitely in the bottom half for this competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment